Blackpool Forum - Which SmartPhone
Vital Football

Latest Blackpool FC News

Blackpool Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "I don't think they're as good as they are." - KEVIN KEEGAN
- (Added by: Jerry)
Current Poll (see more polls)
What position do Blackpool need to strengthen?
Suggested By:
Goalkeeper8%
Defence5%
Midfield16%
Forwards55%
None16%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.premier 1229
2.SaskPool157
3.SeasideEssexXile157
4.Bear195157
5.Hastings35
6.BobHatton24
7.bfcpete22
8.whitey194222
9.nodrogaty20
10.suffolknwot19
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3):
2 3
Which SmartPhone
08 October 2016 14:33 Post ID: #353924
BFC Director
So I use my phone a lot. I have a four hour commute so it is used for social media, music, email, train updates plus plus. I'm not attracted to an Apple although Mrs H and Junior have them.

So persuade me to buy an iThing or what Android. I have had Samsungs and got frustrated by blow ware. My current phone is an LG G3 which has been great although like all larger phones battery is only sufficient but as you can remove the battery carrying a spare lightweight battery is acceptable.

The current LG leaves me confused. The new Pixel is way too much money IMO

Any advice chaps?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 October 2016 19:46 Post ID: #353973 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
Hastings - 8/10/2016 14:33

So I use my phone a lot. I have a four hour commute so it is used for social media, music, email, train updates plus plus. I'm not attracted to an Apple although Mrs H and Junior have them.

So persuade me to buy an iThing or what Android. I have had Samsungs and got frustrated by blow ware. My current phone is an LG G3 which has been great although like all larger phones battery is only sufficient but as you can remove the battery carrying a spare lightweight battery is acceptable.

The current LG leaves me confused. The new Pixel is way too much money IMO

Any advice chaps?

Hasty, it's always a tough one recommending an item such as a smartphone as I believe the huge range is as huge as the reasons you will want a particular model.

It sounds to me that battery life is a big feature due to the heavy usage you've described. That imo rules out the iPhone as that is a feature they've struggled to match many others since their inception.

Then there is the budget; the best are expensive, but when purchased with a contract they can be reasonable, especially if you are using all your allowances. I get unlimited everything but use very little data because I'm mostly connected to wifi. I use little call time because I can use free minutes on my land line with clearer reception and so it's just the text messages that I use heavily.

I've had all the Samsung Galaxy's except for the S4, I'm now on the S7 Edge which I nearly didn't purchase due to the S6 having some problems. I even considered going back to iPhone which I last had at the 4 model. Having researched them both (IPhone 6 and Galaxy S7) it was obvious that the Apple was still riddled with restrictive features, iTunes, poor battery, lower spec, lack of control in tweaking settings and an operating system that is really restrictive plus the costs incurred with everything.

OK so my old S6 went a little iPhone, it has built in memory (non expandable) and a built in battery which was not as good as previous models. The S7 now has expandable memory, you can put a 200gb memory card in on top of the built in memory. It has a much more impressive battery than any other on the market. It also comes with a dual sim so that you can have a work and personal account. It is waterproof and there are ways to remove the bloatware if you need to. You can easily tweak it so stuff isn't running and using up resources.

I tend to put my phone in Flight Mode when at work, this saves your battery massively. Of course if you are doing the online stuff, social media stuff etc you'll need to put it back on. I did a search on Google on how to save battery life and that helped a lot, turning off lots of apps and push services as well as Bluetooth and GPS enabled stuff can save 50% of your battery too.

Sorry then to say I've not really recommended a handset, rather I've told you how impressed I am with mine and the operating system. I think is the case now that many of us heavy users have to charge our handsets twice a day. It is important you don't use it whilst charging, that will mean the handset discharges power quicker when you unplug and will overheat it too.

Have you ever thought of having a tablet as well as a smartphone? I tend to use my tab for the internet, social media and so on when I'm wified! They do have much better battery life.

Like post
Like this post
08 October 2016 22:28 Post ID: #353977 - in reply to #353973
BFC Director
Whatever you choose Hasty - make sure it's Android!

(Sony Z1 Xperia user!)
Like post
Like this post
09 October 2016 12:32 Post ID: #353990 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
Cheers both I agree about the iPhone and to be honest I like the freedom of the Android.

How do you both get on with the bloatware used to drive me nuts on the S5 and thought of rooting the phone and ridding myself of the Samsung elements?

Never had a Sony

The 3 plus one seems a decent option cheap as chips and a vanilla android. Might wait and see how the Google phone is received when it's fully released later in the month but I'm not paying £600 for a phone.

I'm sticking with my Sim only whatever £9 for unlimited mins/texts and 3GB of data
Like post
Like this post
09 October 2016 17:25 Post ID: #353993 - in reply to #353990
BFC Director
Hastings - 9/10/2016 12:32

Cheers both I agree about the iPhone and to be honest I like the freedom of the Android.

How do you both get on with the bloatware used to drive me nuts on the S5 and thought of rooting the phone and ridding myself of the Samsung elements?

Never had a Sony

The 3 plus one seems a decent option cheap as chips and a vanilla android. Might wait and see how the Google phone is received when it's fully released later in the month but I'm not paying £600 for a phone.

I'm sticking with my Sim only whatever £9 for unlimited mins/texts and 3GB of data

I really don't know what you mean re: bloatware? I never had any problems?

I was with 3 before I upgraded to the S6 Edge but they couldn't get me that model so I ended up on Vodafone, seriously avoid! They have once again been voted worst provider. So certainly the provider is a serious consideration. I have to agree 3 are brilliant, use your minutes abroad, cheap, great coverage and a user friendly app.

Android all the way, as I said earlier I considered for a short time an Apple, not a lot of research was needed before I realised how many shortcomings they have.

There's plenty of reading on all Android handsets at the link below although most do seem to be talking about problems encountered rather than extolling the virtues of a particular phone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com

Like post
Like this post
09 October 2016 17:49 Post ID: #353996 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
Hit the nail on the head there Layton reviews always about the problems and the camera the latter I'm not bothered about. I meant 3 plus One is a phone.

Bloatware is where the company say Samsung use up memory on the phone slowing it down with useless crap like "Health" products that you can't turn off.
Like post
Like this post
10 October 2016 11:48 Post ID: #354008 - in reply to #353924
Executive Seats User
I have had the iphone 6 since it came out - no issues to date. I am not a fanboy though but my wife has the iphone and we all have ipads so may as well have them linked and consistent.

I have had android tablets and the performance was awful. I have had android phones and they all worked great for the first 14 month or so - then started playing up. Not great when you have a 2 year contract. I had the Google Nexus then went on to Sammie S2 and S3. The S3 got red hot and kept on restarting it self over and over - became unusable. Tried a new battery but I had to dig out the S2 and use this for the remainder of the contract.

I have friends who swear by Android though - my phone is working without issue so no intention of upgrading just yet. The only time it gets battered on battery is if I'm playing games or using Spotify. CSR2 and Boom Beach currently being played. Sometimes I use it as a phone to make calls! There's a novelty.

Appreciate Androids are a lot more "open play" but perhaps that's why all mine ended up going faulty. I don't miss this feature though so feel no need to get one - not to say I never will. Currently on sim only rolling 30 day contract after my last 2 year deal expired. Agree though - phone prices are redonculous! More expensive than my first car!

I think I converted LS away from Apple and then jumped the Android ship
Like post
Like this post
10 October 2016 16:32 Post ID: #354010 - in reply to #354008
BFC Director
Berty, I seem to have had problems with all handsets including the iphone 4, reason enough to jump ships to Android but moreover especially as that nice young man from that there posh Yarkshire town made such a good case for how great they were and I remember at the time looking on Android devices as the work of evil forces!

Seriously though I can't imagine there would be much perceptible difference between any of them although I think we all get a bit brand loyal when we have got used to a system. I'm still using a Galaxy Tab 4 and I have to say it's been brilliant, never had any issues at all. I've never had an ipad although my niece has had several and had niggles with them all although her 2 year old throwing one of them down the stairs was one particular issue she had!

There is also an image problem with some brands . . .

(Rapist's Hat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rapist's Hat.jpg (94KB - 24 downloads)
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 08:57 Post ID: #354021 - in reply to #353924
Executive Seats User
lol - he must be on a lawyer app listing the next batch of fans

*no more court cases against fans. Add that to the list!
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 14:49 Post ID: #354030 - in reply to #353924
Executive Seats User
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37618618

The Samsung Incendiary has seen production end. You can now get an alternative - or get an Amazon Fire
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 15:04 Post ID: #354032 - in reply to #354030
BFC Director
Albert Ramsbottom - 11/10/2016 14:49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37618618

The Samsung Incendiary has seen production end. You can now get an alternative - or get an Amazon Fire :grins:

Lucky I got the Galaxy rather than the Note!

Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 16:22 Post ID: #354033 - in reply to #354032
Executive Seats User
Hey that banana looks like my iphone 6
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 19:57 Post ID: #354037 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
Berty don't you miss widgets?
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2016 19:57 Post ID: #354038 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
Berty don't you miss widgets?
Like post
Like this post
12 October 2016 09:42 Post ID: #354048 - in reply to #354038
BFC Director
Hasty, I got an email today from O2 regarding the phone you mentioned "3 plus one" would it be the OnePlus3 you were referring to?

It seems pretty good, 16mp camera, 64gb storage and aluminium case etc. It can be bought for £28 a month from O2 and that is unlimited texts and 500 minutes. That seems good value, about £20 less a month than the Samsung or Apple. Don't know how it matches up against them but would be interested to know how you get on with it if you go for it.

Like post
Like this post
12 October 2016 09:59 Post ID: #354051 - in reply to #353924
BFC Director
ha ha you are right of course.

It seems a pretty good phone not as sexy looking as the Samsung or iPhone etc. You can buy one for £330 so they are about half the price. If you aren't prepared to spend £600plus then this is probably the best option. They are selling really well. I bought my LG G3 as it was such a good phone for half teh price alas the later phone shot up in price once they had established a market share.

Wonder if the Samsung S7 will drop in price given the issues they are having with the Note7could do to keep it's market share.

The thing is that other than the cameras there really hasn't been much change in phones in the last couple or three years it's all smoke and mirrors. Check out the difference between the iPhone 5 -6-7 or the Samsung 5-6-7. Of course with the iPhone 7 you do lose your headphone jack so you can use more of your battery on bluetooth connection
Like post
Like this post
12 October 2016 12:48 Post ID: #354053 - in reply to #354051
BFC Director
Hastings - 12/10/2016 09:59

ha ha you are right of course.

It seems a pretty good phone not as sexy looking as the Samsung or iPhone etc. You can buy one for £330 so they are about half the price. If you aren't prepared to spend £600plus then this is probably the best option. They are selling really well. I bought my LG G3 as it was such a good phone for half teh price alas the later phone shot up in price once they had established a market share.

Wonder if the Samsung S7 will drop in price given the issues they are having with the Note7could do to keep it's market share.

The thing is that other than the cameras there really hasn't been much change in phones in the last couple or three years it's all smoke and mirrors. Check out the difference between the iPhone 5 -6-7 or the Samsung 5-6-7. Of course with the iPhone 7 you do lose your headphone jack so you can use more of your battery on bluetooth connection

Hasty, I studied Business, Finance and HR at Uni and what you have just described is what are known as "Veblem Goods." It is the belief that if something is priced high even though it's not any better people will buy the more expensive item because they automatically think they must be getting a superior product. Also referred to as the "Snob Factor."

Of course the largely stupid, pretentious or snooty average consumer are driving up prices right across the World in any number of areas. People often buy status over quality.

I'm not saying we're not all guilty of being hoodwinked by clever marketing patter and image related consumerism, but there is also a limit for most sensible people. I refuse to buy a Dyson, they are crap but priced 5 times higher than a comparable item.

Like post
Like this post
Pages (3):
2 3
Jump to forum:
Blackpool Fixtures  >>